Friday 15 January 2010

12/01 Claire - OMG it's gone up

So I have been to the gym 16 times in December (one week of that month I was out of the country so this is a good effort) and had a relatively restrained Christmas. I can see the difference and can feel the difference yet I stood on those scales and watched in horror the % body fat read higher than when I first started. Then followed a small hissy, some calming and soothing words of encouragement from Nathan and an acusation from me that the scales were wrong!

Granted it hasn't gone up by much but I KNOW I am fitter and leaner so I just couldn't believe it. Bring on t'interweb....

Turns out there are a few things that you should consider when using these scales such as not comparing yourself to others and use them as a measure of your own progress only. More importantly I didn't follow these recommendations

Make sure you always drink the same amount of water one hour before you test yourself.
Measure yourself at the same time of day for each test.
Don't test yourself after exercising. When you exercise you sweat and when you sweat you lose water. This affects your hydration levels and hence... the results.
Your skin temperature affects the electrical current used by the scales (and surely exercise affects this?)

This has gotta be it, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment