Wednesday 6 January 2010

8/12 Claire – Cairo


IMG_4175
Originally uploaded by blenkers
Nice, 25 degrees in Sharm El Sheik and had a lovely relaxing day sunbathing yesterday. Today however I fulfilled my childhood dream of visiting the Pyramids and the Sphinx :o)

We flew from Sharm to Cairo at an ungodly hour, jumped on a minibus, picked up our Egyptologist (how do you become one of those?) and off we went. I went right insight one of the pyramids into one of the inner chambers. It’s basically a stone room once you get in there but it’s really cool to be able to say that you’ve been inside one of the pyramids. Sorry am I sounding a little on the geeky side?

There are guys riding camels just waiting to rip you off for a £50 camel ride. I would have paid that I tell you but we were told that we weren’t insured and so weren’t allowed. These guys even charge you for a photo so you had to avoid eye contact and pretend they weren’t there.

The Sphinx was really impressive too. It’s fantastic to just stand there and look at it.

Lunch on the Nile sounds quite swanky so I should leave it there. Lunch in TGI Fridays looking over the dirtiest, mankiest part of the Nile I can imagine less so.

Then off to the Cairo museum, it’s massive and FULL of stuff that has been recovered but the Tutankhamen death mask was really awesome. I know, I know I am a proper geek but I loved it. What a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment