Thursday 22 October 2009

22/10 Claire - To watch or not to watch

I have now decided that reverting to a world of evening TV in the dark, winter nights is not what I want to do. I mean, in the past I have been a couch potato and a bad one at that. I could seriously watch any shit on TV and would look forward to weekends when I had nothing planned so I could do this without even getting dressed.

Something has changed…

My first day back home I clicked on the box, flicked through the DIY, property development, antique sale, moving to sunnier climate day time TV programmes and just thought “I can’t do this anymore”. It was raining outside and I stood at the back door feeling caged between crap TV and crap weather. Oh dear.

Anyhow, I have decided the best thing to do is keep myself busy, keep the TV off and try to make sure that the winter doesn’t become a cycle of getting up, going to work, eating dinner, going to bed.

Some nights you just don’t have planned things to keep you out of the house and although I have been reading a little more I have also found myself on the laptop a lot sorting things for myself that I have been meaning to do for a while, sorting birthday presents, working on photos etc. What I have also found is that I am also constantly on twitter and facebook (I mean you might as well have them on in the background, right?).

Somone at work says to me “you’re always on facebook you, I didn’t think you were the sort” and another chips in with that being OK “if you don’t have a life”. To be fair to her she also quickly contradicted this with an “oh I suppose we can’t say you don’t have a life” (this based based on the usual exchange of weekend plans between parents of young children and those, me, with no kids + having my just come back from the round the world trip). What I can’t get my head around though is that if I had spent 4 hours watching crap on TV this would have been quite acceptable but a couple of status updates and uploading pictures on to facebook could constitute a “no life” comment.

What I have managed to do though through the marvels of social networking instead of watching the box is contact a number of old friends that I haven’t seen for periods of between 18months to 20 years and bloody done something about it. And it feels good.

I am sure it’s only a matter of time until I revert but for now it’s busy, busy, busy ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment