Friday 23 October 2009

23/10 Claire – Staying fit

One of my colleagues at work, who to be fair I haven’t seen in nearly 4 months, said to me this morning “by, you’re looking well… and have you lost weight?”. It doesn’t take much to make me smile I tell you. Anyhow I’d like to say it was, although it isn’t, down to my new fitness regime of early morning gym sessions.

It’s dark when I get up and it’s dark by I get home so this means I can’t run before or after work at home. I mean, I could, but I wouldn’t be able to see the road, where the verge starts, or where the road turns and I have tried this in the past only to end up running off into the hedge. It’s literally pitch black where we are and so dark that even a head torch with full, attractive, back of the head battery pack is too weak to really see where you are going. Besides that running next to the forest with the limited light of a head torch is too spooky for me and I am not sure my nerves are up to it.

The overly priced, large chain gym on Tees Barrage has a new recession busting 3 month membership. They also have an offer now where you get the rest of 2009 free and start paying in January so I now have over 5 months membership for the price of 3 and I can hand in my notice for March when I should start to see lighter nights and can get back out on the road.

What I hate about the gym, or rather one of the things I hate about the gym, is that by the time you finish work, drive to the gym, work out, shower, drive home, have dinner… hey presto it’s time to go to bed. I can’t, just can’t, bring myself to get into the cycle of winter days and evenings disappearing before my eyes so I have a cunning plan of morning workouts. I figure that if I can get up at 6am (which to be fair is the time I have to get up to go to London), be at the gym at 6.45, workout til 7.45, shower changed and drive to work I can be at work for 8.30. It’s like using bonus time and my evenings are free!

Of course, last night I was so knackered I couldn’t keep my eyes open past 9pm but I am hoping to get used to the new routine ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment