Thursday 16 July 2009

13/07 Claire - In-flight meals


DSC00111
Originally uploaded by blenkers
We flew from Heathrow on Monday at 1.45 and might I mention I was a whole 300g under my luggage allowance. Hoorar.

What I love about long haul flights is that you often get both local and destination options on the menu. Some of you will be aware, I love in-flight meals… I mean really love them. They are a highlight of my holiday. Not those crappy Easy Jet £5 Panini’s and a cup a soup but a proper in-flight meal, a main course in miniature. I get very upset if I fall asleep and miss one. Today I was offered a number of things but went for the Japanese chicken thinking that it was the one I had seen the Japanese couple in front of me take but the package didn’t look anything like this. The kindly steward realised my disappointment and offered to show me a “bento box” and on seeing my eyes light up he exchanged my tray. So a bento box is apparently a very popular lunch option in Japan and the one I had included Miso soup, rice, various chicken and pork dumplings (of a sort, not the best description) and a Japanese sweet that’s got the texture of really squidgy marzipan but I expect this was tofu based. The bar has been raised on my in-flight meal expectations. Ian also looked slightly relieved that he’d have food options over the coming weeks other than sashimi raw fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment