Tuesday 21 July 2009

19/7 Claire


IMG_9967
Originally uploaded by blenkers
Our second ryokan was basic but with great bathrooms exactly as described in the rough guide. Wet rooms with a shower, a mini stool about 20cm high to sit on whilst washing, get thoroughly clean and rinsed before getting into the bath to soak. We certainly didn’t pull the plug here.

Although the rooms were basic, dinner this evening wasn’t. We were all brought to a communal dining room with low tables and cushions to sit on. The meal set out across the table included beautifully presented sushi (three types) a cooked fish dish, rice and pickled veg. We finished this only to also be brought tempura vegetables and prawns, then finally came a bowl of udon noodles in broth. I wish I had taken my camera down for dinner as this was a truly amazing meal.

I have yet to get used to sitting on the floor for meal times. My Western joints are not up to it. My knees can’t take kneeling on the floor Japanese style with my feet under my bum, in fact my knees will bearly allow my bum to touch my feet as they are so inflexible. The alternative is that you sit cross legged, not the appropriate way but you can get away with it, but my hips give me jip doing this. I end up shuffling and wriggling throughout the meal trying to find a comfortable position… which of course I can’t. Hopefully a little more practice I may loosen up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment